Dental implants replace missing teeth. The benefits of implants over time prove to be a valuable investment in a patient’s overall health and quality of life.
The benefits include:
- It is a permanent tooth restoration
- They save bone and surrounding teeth
- No more embarrassing gaps or spaces
- Implants under dentures give the ability to eat and speak without loose dentures, as well as no need for messy gripping agents
- Looks and acts like a normal tooth
- May replace a bridge
- A renewed, confident smile!
Most adults with healthy gum tissue and bones are candidates for dental implants. A dental implant has a titanium post (like a tooth root) that is surgically positioned into the jawbone beneath the gum line. Next, is the healing process called osteointegration. This means the bone heals around the implant post and anchors it in place just like the roots of your teeth. The replacement teeth cannot be attached until you are completely healed. Healing time varies but in some cases a temporary crown, bridge or denture may be in place so you will be able to speak normally, eat more comfortably and not be self-conscious of your appearance. After the healing period, a custom-made crown is inserted.
Implants are a permanent solution but can fail due to poor oral hygiene or excessive biting forces. Frequent hygiene recalls are a very important maintenance step in helping to monitor implant health. Implants are a long-term investment in your smile, your health, and your well-being.