Lakeshore Dental is not only dedicated to your smile, we are also dedicated to your overall wellness. That is why at every re-care appointment we include an intra-oral and extra-oral cancer screening as part of your exam.
Our team is trained in screenings that involves an examination of your entire mouth and neck not just your teeth. This is done to help detect cancerous and precancerous conditions. Besides a visual examination of your mouth, we will also feel the tissue of your mouth and throat to detect any abnormalities.
The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening, or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth, lips or neck
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
How to help prevent oral cancer.
- The best way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid all tobacco products and minimal alcohol consumption.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
Early detection of oral and neck cancer can improve the chance of successful treatment. Visit Lakeshore Dental on a regular basis – at least twice a year.