As we head into 2014, many of you will be making New Year’s Resolutions. Some of the common resolutions include: losing weight, quitting smoking, eating better, and the list goes on. Here’s one you may never have thought about before: Resolving to Practice Better Oral Hygiene.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth, gums and overall health AND it’s an easy-to-attain goal! Perfect!
Clean, healthy teeth not only help you look and feel good, they also enable you to eat and speak properly. Plus, good oral health is a key factor in your own overall well-being.
Daily preventive care, like brushing and flossing, can help stop problems before they develop. Good oral hygiene habits that are created now can decrease discomfort, worries, and cost issues in the future.
In between regular visits to our office, there are simple steps you can take to greatly reduce the risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease and other dental issues. At Lakeshore Dental, we challenge you to resolve to practice better hygiene in 2014 by:
- Brushing for two minutes, twice a day
- Flossing or getting between each tooth with some form of in-between aid daily
- Eating a balanced diet and limiting snacks between meals
- Rinsing your mouth with water after snacking or drinking or eating sugary treats
- Using dental products (including toothpaste) that contain fluoride
- Rinsing with fluoride or alcohol free mouth rinse
- Making sure that your children (under age 12) drink fluoridated water or take a fluoride supplement if they live in a non-fluoridated area
- Incorporate xylitol into your diet
Best wishes for a healthy, happy and prosperous 2014!